Monday, December 1, 2014

Whole30 - Review

So, we've been off the Whole30 program officially for a few weeks now.

Here are some definite highlights of our experience:

-We feel awesome.
-We are sleeping better, falling asleep more quickly and waking up happier.
-I have had significantly less 'tummy issues,' as I like to call it.
-We've lost weight. Nothing major, but we weren't trying to lose weight. It just happens.
-We have forged some really good friends and strengthened friendships through this process.
-We tried new things! I cooked things I never thought I would and Ethan tried foods he never thought he would like. And we liked everything!
-We've tried new combinations of foods and vegetables that we love.
-Sugar and soy are in EVERYTHING! It was shocking when we started reading labels more closely. I'm so sad that we ate so much junk before, when we thought we ate healthy.
-I don't miss dairy. At all. And if you know me, you know this is a big deal.
-Ethan and I have spent a lot more time in the kitchen, however, we've had a lot more time to chat while we cook and clean the kitchen.
-I got a lot better at meal planning.
-We broke our habit with eating out and eating sugar.

A few downsides:
-I had to cook all. the. time. Seriously, I felt like I was in the kitchen the whole 30 days. However, Ethan was in there with me, so it wasn't too bad. Although I view this as a bit of a downside, I felt quite proud of all the work put in and all the meals I made. **This is from the standpoint of working a full time job outside the home. It was quite a long day to get up early to cook, then cook for an hour or so after I got home from work. At first I felt like all I ever did was cook, chop veggies, make meal plans, etc. It was totally worth it, though.
-It was slightly more expensive. We were buying organic as much as possible and lot of really high quality meat. Although we were spending about $20-30 more per week, we cannot remember not eating every single thing we bought. So, at least it wasn't getting wasted.

I read the book that accompanies the program (It Starts With Food). If you decide to do Whole30, I highly recommend reading the book. The writers and creators of the program give you all the science behind the program and it was fascinating. I felt encouraged and challenged.

Overall, it was an amazing experience! We don't feel like we were missed out on anything. If you do it, have the attitude of this is a challenge that YOU CAN DO, not a 30 day deprivation of all the things you love. If you are considering, I HIGHLY recommend it. Also, I would love to chat with you and encourage you in your Whole30 journey!

No comments: