Friday, August 8, 2014

Frankfurt

We began our long trip home with a two hour train ride from Goettingen to Frankfurt. This was the magazine in the train. Made me giggle to see a piece of home.


Frankfurt Main Train Station. It is huge, but it has a lot of old parts of the original station, like this arch.


Our purpose in going to Frankfurt a day early was to spend the day with these lovely people. The woman in the middle with the blue plaid shirt is my grandmother's cousin, Doris. Her husband is standing next to me, Gunther. Having never met any of my European relatives, it was very exciting to be invited to spend the day at their lovely home. The woman on the right in the back is Doris and Gunther's daughter and her husband next to her. The woman on the right in the front is Helen, my mom's cousin. She is British and lives in Holland with her husband, Jan (who was taking this photo). They were all so lovely and we had such a wonderful time getting to know them. It is a day I will remember forever.


Helen and Jan took us into the main part of Frankfurt to see some sites, one being the Goethe Haus. They thought since Ethan studied at the Goethe Institut this summer, we should see his home. I'm glad they suggested this. It was very neat.


An old upright piano. Cool.


This is Goethe's writing desk. I thought it was neat that he used a standing desk.


The Goethe Haus.


The only Lederhosen store I saw all summer. I had to take a picture.


Getting close to the old city square.


Helen and Jan, our Frankfurt tour guides.


I was obsessed with the sidewalks all summer. I already miss the quaint look.


Old City Square in Frankfurt. It was like walking into a storybook.


Old Frankfurt Rathaus (City Hall).




Frankfurt Dom (Cathedral). It's been through a large fire and the bombings of WWII. The reconstruction is beautiful.



The Main River.

You know I love the flowers everywhere.


The outside of the Frankfurt Main Train Station.


Our last German sunset from our Frankfurt hotel. It was absolutely stunning. Germany is such a beautiful country.


No comments: