Friday, March 14, 2008

Centennial

This year is the 100th anniversary of Southwestern. So that is pretty cool to be enrolled in the 100th class at the seminary. They have really been blowing up this whole birthday thing and it all culminated today because it is the actual centennial birthday of the founding of the school. They had a special outdoor chapel on the lawn and then a big cookout (barbeque of course!) and praise and worship time. Ethan and I were going to go, but seeing as we have not spent a lot of quality time together lately because of midterms and the usual busyness of our lives, we decided to skip out. We were both tired anyway and did not feel like being surrounded by tons and tons of people, not to mention it was 90 degrees today. We grilled out and had a picnic and played cards. We realized one more really awesome thing about living directly across the street from the school...great seats for the fireworks show! They really went all out for this thing. We put our quilt out in the grass and kind of had our own little viewing area. It was so nice and as you may or may not know, I LOVE fireworks. I am like a little girl when I'm watching them. It was great!

We have really been learning a lot. Our classes have really been stretching us in our faith, which is always good. We are very thankful for our profs who push us and challenge us to rethink things. Not necessarily because you're wrong, but just to make you think. It's wonderful!

Yesterday, I had one of the best days I had had in a long time. I went into work and shared with my boss some prayer concerns I have. She loves to hear them and pray for you. So I ended up talking to her for an hour. It was lovely. She is such an amazing woman of God and prayer warrior. She let me into her private prayer and devotional life and allowed me to learn from her. I want the kind of prayer life she has...and not when I'm older but right now! I realized with her encouragement that it is possible. She was so uplifting to me. We were both very open and honest and God really used her and that time with her to love on me. I went back to my classroom feeling so good and also shared my prayer concerns with the teacher I work under, Tricia. She's so great and encouraging also. She went to her teacher meeting, led of course by our boss, and came back with tears in her eyes and let me know that she was able to pray for me during the meeting and that she felt honored to do so. Later that afternoon, my boss stopped me in the hall with tears in her eyes to tell me that when Tricia prayed for me, it was very powerful. This coming from the incredible prayer warrior. I almost cried right there. Then, this morning another teacher who I am close to, Zhanna, told me that she and her family prayed for me during their family prayer time. Well that was it, I teared up in front of all the kids. It was beautiful. What an amazing thing God has created in the relationship between women. I felt so loved and cared for by these sweet people I have only known for 6 months or so. I know God is working in that place and that God is answering the prayers of those women in a mighty way! I'm so thankful and humbled for the kind of love God allowed me to experience yesterday and this morning. He is truly LOVE!

No comments: