Thursday, March 22, 2012

Recipe Thursday: Crock Pot Brisket

Hope you're having a happy week!

So, if you are like me and your husband loves red meat, this recipe is for you.

It's from the Better Homes and Gardens cookbook I received when we got married and that cookbook has been a lifesaver to me! I tweaked this recipe just a smidgen.

Any recipe that can be cooked in the crockpot is already going to be at the top of my list. Working a full time job and not wanting to dirty up my tiny little kitchen every night, I use my crock pot a lot. It's my best friend in the kitchen.

When I make this brisket, we usually eat is with some good veggies (like kale or sweet potatoes) the first night and then have sandwiches the next day with some fresh fruit. We've given up eating chips with our lunches so we try to keep it interesting by having a lot of different fruits in the kitchen, cut and ready to eat.

Another good thing about this is that it's healthier than a typical pot roast recipe that has a lot of canned soups in it (think lower sodium!). Plus, it's just delicious. And you make your own sauce to go with it that Ethan raves about.

I'll stop babbling now....

Crock Pot Brisket

Ingredients:
3/4 cup water
1/4 cup Worchestershire sauce
1 tablespoon vinegar
1 teaspoon instant beef bouillon granules (I do not use this because I think it's gross, but the recipe still  
   turns out delicious!)
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced (I use 2 teaspoons of the jarred variety)
1 2 1/2 lb fresh beef brisket (Kroger in TX has great Nolan Ryan beef)
1/2 cup ketchup (we use the all natural kind with no high fructose corn syrup)
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons butter

Directions:
1. Combine water, and next 7 ingredients. Whisk well. Reserve 1/2 cup liquid for sauce and set aside in fridge. Trim fat from meat and, if necessary, cut to fit in crock pot. Pour remaining liquid over brisket.
2. Cover and cook on low setting for 10-12 hours or on high for 5-6 hours. Meat will pull apart easily.
3. A few minutes before eating make the sauce. In a small saucepan combine the reserved liquid, ketchup, brown sugar, and butter. Heat until thickened a little, just a few minutes. Serve with meat.

I usually do step 1 the night before and put it in the fridge. Then, when I wake up I only have to take it out, plug it in, and we have dinner that evening!

Enjoy!

Have a happy Thursday!

No comments: