Thursday, April 5, 2012

Recipe Thursday: Shrimp and Grits

I am a true southern girl and I could eat cajun food every day, I like it so much. This recipe is perfect for me! And Ethan loves it, too.

My friend, Amanda, sent me this recipe a few weeks ago and I just got around to trying it out. Turns out...it was delicious! Not only that, but it was super easy and very quick to cook.

If you are not sure if you like grits, just take the plunge and try this recipe. Trust me. And I did not take that picture, but except for the tails, mine looked just like that! It's THAT easy!

picture courtesy of www.foodnetwork.com


Lemon-Garlic Shrimp and Grits
(Recipe courtesy of Food Network Magazine, online)

Ingredients:
3/4 cup instant grits
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese (don't buy the pre-grated stuff...the cheese you grate yourself is SO much   
      yummier!)
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 1/4 pounds medium shrimp, peeled and deveined, tails intact (our shrimp didn't have the tails still on
      them)
2 large cloves garlic, minced (I used the jarred stuff)
Pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
Juice of 1/2 lemon, plus wedges for serving
2 tablespoons roughly chopped fresh parsley

Directions:
1. Bring 3 cups of water to a boil in a medium saucepan over high heat, covered. Uncover and slowly whisk in the grits, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 tablespoon pepper. Reduce the heat to medium low and cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the parmesan and 1 tablespoon butter. Remove from the heat and season with salt and pepper. Cover to keep warm.
2. Meanwhile, season the shrimp with salt and pepper. Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the shrimp, garlic, and cayenne, if using, and cook until the shrimp are pink, 3-4 minutes, tossing occasionally. Remove from heat and add 2 tablespoons water, the lemon juice and parsley; stir to coat the shrimp with the sauce and season with salt and pepper.
3. Divide the grits among shallow bowls and top with the shrimp and sauce. Serve with lemon wedges. Serves 4.
4. Enjoy!

If you try this, let me know what you think!

Happy Thursday!

No comments: