I love King Cake. It's probably one of my most favorite sweet things, especially the cream cheese variety. However, in Fort Worth, it is hard to find a really really really good one. So, I decided to resort to making my own. And what better night to debut the creation than at the Cotton Bowl for a big Tiger Win? (Geaux Tigers, by the way!)
So, due to the flood of requests, here is the recipe. I channeled The Pioneer Woman a little bit by taking pictures along the way (not at every step, though). This was a process worth documenting for me. Anyway, here are the pictures. Full recipe at the bottom...
Ingredients. Not too bad.
Sprinkled with colored sugar in Tiger colors. This picture was right after I did the sugar, the color got more vibrant as it soaked up some moisture.
And we're done! I had a King Cake baby that I put in it after this stage and I was happy that it was found my an LSU fan at the party! (Ok, I rigged it. I gave that piece to the kid because I knew where the baby was. I couldn't help myself!)
Sweetie Pies' King Cakes (Recipe from Taste of the South magazine Feb/Mar issue, adapted from a recipe by Sweetie Pie bakery)
1 (16 oz) package hot roll mix (I used Pillsbury)
2. Tbsp butter, melted
1 cup cinnamon sugar (I made mine with 1 cup sugar and 1 Tbsp cinnamon, plus a little extra because I love cinnamon)
1 recipe King Cake Icing (Recipe to follow)
Colored sugar
*You will also need the ingredients listed on the hot roll mix in addition to this list
-Lightly spray a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
-Mix hot roll dough according to package directions. Shape dough into a ball. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85 degrees), free from drafts, for 15 minutes. Punch down dough.
-On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 12x16 oblong shape and brush evenly with the melted butter. Sprinkle liberally with the cinnamon sugar.
-Shape dough using one of these options:
1. Fold in half length wise and cut into 3 strips. braid strips. Gently pull to elongate the braid. Place on baking sheet in the shape of an oval. OR
2. Start with long side and roll into a jellyroll shape. Place on baking sheet in the shape of an oval.
-Cover with a dishtowel and tel rise in a warm place again, free from drafts, until almost double in size, approximately 1 hour.
-Preheat oven to 375.
-Bake until golden, about 15 minutes. Let cake cool completely.
-Spread King Cake Icing on cake and sprinkle with desired amount of colored sugar.
King Cake Icing
1 (8 oz) package cream cheese, softened
1 cup confectioners' sugar
1 Tbsp whole milk
-In a medium bowl, combine cream cheese, confectioners' sugar, and milk, beaking at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth.
Colored Sugar (this makes a lot of sugar, so adjust accordingly)
Sugar
Food coloring in yellow, green, and purple (or red and blue)
In a METAL bowl, mix together one cup sugar and 3 drops of yellow food coloring. Mix with a wire whisk until sugar turns yellow. You can keep extra sugar in a ziplock bag if it makes to much. This is a good excuse to make another King Cake.
Repeat process with green second, and purple third. If you do it in that order, you don't have to wash the bowl in between colors.
I promise, it's not as daunting as it sounds.
1 (16 oz) package hot roll mix (I used Pillsbury)
2. Tbsp butter, melted
1 cup cinnamon sugar (I made mine with 1 cup sugar and 1 Tbsp cinnamon, plus a little extra because I love cinnamon)
1 recipe King Cake Icing (Recipe to follow)
Colored sugar
*You will also need the ingredients listed on the hot roll mix in addition to this list
-Lightly spray a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
-Mix hot roll dough according to package directions. Shape dough into a ball. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85 degrees), free from drafts, for 15 minutes. Punch down dough.
-On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 12x16 oblong shape and brush evenly with the melted butter. Sprinkle liberally with the cinnamon sugar.
-Shape dough using one of these options:
1. Fold in half length wise and cut into 3 strips. braid strips. Gently pull to elongate the braid. Place on baking sheet in the shape of an oval. OR
2. Start with long side and roll into a jellyroll shape. Place on baking sheet in the shape of an oval.
-Cover with a dishtowel and tel rise in a warm place again, free from drafts, until almost double in size, approximately 1 hour.
-Preheat oven to 375.
-Bake until golden, about 15 minutes. Let cake cool completely.
-Spread King Cake Icing on cake and sprinkle with desired amount of colored sugar.
King Cake Icing
1 (8 oz) package cream cheese, softened
1 cup confectioners' sugar
1 Tbsp whole milk
-In a medium bowl, combine cream cheese, confectioners' sugar, and milk, beaking at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth.
Colored Sugar (this makes a lot of sugar, so adjust accordingly)
Sugar
Food coloring in yellow, green, and purple (or red and blue)
In a METAL bowl, mix together one cup sugar and 3 drops of yellow food coloring. Mix with a wire whisk until sugar turns yellow. You can keep extra sugar in a ziplock bag if it makes to much. This is a good excuse to make another King Cake.
Repeat process with green second, and purple third. If you do it in that order, you don't have to wash the bowl in between colors.
I promise, it's not as daunting as it sounds.
Enjoy!
1 comment:
I might have to try this!
Post a Comment