Thursday, January 6, 2011

Pork Osso Bucco

Besides having a fancy name, this recipe is wonderful.

My mom got it from a friend. She emailed it to me. I made it for dinner. It was a hit!

Thought I'd share:

2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
4 Tbsp olive oil
3-4 lb bone-in pork loin roast, fat trimmed (I used two 1 1/2 lb pork rump roasts)
1 Large yellow onion, quartered
2 carrots, cut in strips
2 ribs celery, cut in strips ( I didn't use the celery, I just double the carrots)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp dried basil (My homegrown basil that I dried over the summer was delicious!)
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1 bay leaf
1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce
1/2 cup vegetable broth

1. Coat 4 quart or larger slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Mix flour, salt, and pepper in small bowl, then rub mixture on roast.
3. Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add pork and brown on all sides, about 5 minutes.
4. Layer onions, then carrots, celery, garlic, and herbs in cooker. Position roast on top. Add tomato sauce and broth.
5. Cover and cook on low 7 to 8 hours, or until pork is tender. Remove from cooker and cover with foil.
6. Strain liquid from cooker into saucepan. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-high and cook, uncovered, until thickened.
7. Serve pork with sauce and vegetables.

Enjoy!

No comments: