Tuesday, January 18, 2011

What I Eat

So, I'm hypoglycemic.

What is that, you ask? It means that I have low levels of blood sugar. It's the opposite of being diabetic and it is not fun at all. Because of this, I have to eat every 2 hours to maintain a normal amount of glucose in my body.

What's interesting to me is that people are constantly asking me what I eat. I lost about 7 pounds when I began eating this way. So here's what I eat:

Breakfast: scrambled egg whites and half of a whole grain english muffin, 1 cup of coffee
Snack 1: greek yogurt, water
Snack 2: peanut butter granola bar, water
Snack 3: almonds (raw), water
Lunch: tuna sandwich with cheese, sunchips, piece of fruit, decaf tea with stevia
Snack 4: cheese and hummus, hot tea
Snack 5: almonds (usually the chocolate or cinnamon roasted), water
Dinner: whatever I cooked that week, usually a lean protein (chicken or lean beef) and a lot of vegetables, decaf tea with stevia
Snack 6: more almonds or natural popcorn or a spoonful of peanut butter

So, that's it! I don't eat many sweets anymore and I don't eat a ton of fruit anymore (I used to eat it all day long). I feel really good eating this way, so I imagine that I'll continue this pattern for a long time!

3 comments:

Morgan said...

So what are the differences? You have to avoid sugar? Jeffry gets "shaky" from time to time if he hasn't eaten in a while. I keep telling him I think his blood sugar is out of whack. How were you diagnosed?

Emily Rose said...

The difference between hypoglycemia and diabetes is that with hypoglycemia your pancreas works and does make insulin. The problem is that your body either makes a little too much insulin or the metabolism is high enough that it eats up all the glucose more quickly than normal. I have always been one of those people who eats every 2-3 hours anyway, but one morning I hadn't had anything to eat in about 5 hours and I almost passed while babysitting. Sipping on a glass of orange juice snapped me right back into normalcy. I told my doctor about it and he said that I was definitely hypoglycemic. There isn't a blood test for it other than just checking your sugar. It's diagnosed by having all the symptoms. He also told me how to eat to maintain a good level of constant glucose.
So you have to eat within 30 minutes of waking up, something high protein. Then just snack all day long. Basically, you need a lot of protein because it helps your body level out the glucose. I don't eat fruit unless I have it with a meal and I just don't eat sugar during the day. Sometimes I'll have a little dessert after dinner, but not regularly. It really isn't horrible, it's just kind of obnoxious. But I am so thankful for my health!

Anyway, hope that helps!

dear willow, said...

Soo cool to know your body and listen to it.